PROTEST "OPERATION CONDOR"
Arabs and Muslims are once again the villains in the upcoming film, "Operation Condor," starring superstar Jackie Chan, scheduled to be released nationwide on Friday, July 18, 1997. The film, which is about an adventurer hired to recover a cache of stolen gold hidden in North Africa by Nazis at the end of World War II, perpetuates negative stereotypes of Arabs and Muslims as violent, irrational and unscrupulous.
PLANNING A PROTEST IN YOUR CITY:
1. Find out where the film is showing in your area on July 18, 1997.
2. Plan a demonstration at its opening. Contact ADC to be put in touch with a local chapter and to receive further information.
3. Contact local groups, such as mosques and other Arab-American organizations, to enlist their support. Distribute fliers and contact members of your community to participate in the protest.
4. Prepare signs for the demonstration. ("Stop Arab Bashing," "The Reel
Arab Is Not the Real Arab," "No to Anti-Arab Stereotypes" are some suggested slogans)
5. Prepare a press release to send to your local media, including local
film critics. Follow up with phone calls to key press before thedemonstration is held.
ADC is calling on its chapters, activists and members around the country to hold demonstrations at the opening of the film in their city. Please contact ADC immediately if you are interested in participating in the campaign. Below is a list of suggestions on how to plan a protest in your city.
The film's national premiere will take
place in New York on Tuesday, July 15, 1997, at the Ziegfield Theater in
(If you live in the New York area, please
join the ADC-NY Chapter in a demonstration outside the theater at 6:30 p.m
. . Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.)
Jackie Chan will appear on the David Letterman show that night.
Please write letters to Mr. Letterman sharing your concern about the anti-Arab stereotypes in the film and asking him to raise the issue with Mr. Chan.
Mr. David Letterman
You are urged to deluge the production company, Miramax, with letters of complaint about the film.
Mr. Harvey Weinstein
Please cc your letters to Miramax to Walt Disney at
For further information, please contact ADC at email@example.com
Web : http://www.adc.org